Thursday, September 07, 2006

All Work and No Play...

...makes Splindarella crazy!

It's the beginning of the semester, and I'm losing my mind. I've been working long hours and extra days getting students tested, placed, registered, oriented.... And it won't let up for at least another week, probably two.

The only knitting I've been doing is for my friend's baby shower, to which I just found out I've been dis-invited. Let me hasten to say it's not my friend's fault. Her party is a surprise, and the person throwing it is the one who dis-invited me. Get this: The baby shower is a cocktail party. When I spoke with the hostess to RSVP, I asked if I could bring Baby M with me as I didn't have a babysitter. The hostess said she preferred to keep it an adult party, but if it was a choice between coming or not coming, I should come with the baby.

Apparently, she changed her mind, but didn't want to tell me about it. First, she "lost" my RSVP. The husband of my friend, the expectant mom, phoned me asking if I'd gotten my invitation and if I'd be able to make it. When I said I had and that I'd RSVP'd already, I also mentioned that I'd be bringing Baby M. Just yesterday, my friend's husband emailed to say that the party hostess told him that children weren't invited -- they wanted to keep the "atmosphere of a cocktail party." And so, I said I wouldn't be attending.

Now, can someone please explain to me how one throws a cocktail party for an expectant mother???

Anyway...I suppose the good thing is it's one less thing I have to do at a time that's already busy and stressful enough. I can finish my baby knitting at my own pace and not have to sit through what already seems like it's going to be a pretentious, pain-in-the-a$$ event. (Not annoyed much, am I?)

Meanwhile, it's back to the grind for me. Send good knitterly thoughts my way, if you would, that I keep my sanity over the next few days....

2 comments:

twirldawg said...

Geez, what kind of baby shower doesn't have babies!
That's crazy and rude of her friend.

Unknown said...

cocktail? baby? --those two things just don't go together!
rita n/