Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Houston, We Have Placemats

I'm still not doing much knitting in the hopes that whatever carpal tunnel problems I'm developing will subside. I've therefore been focusing on weaving, and have managed to finish all but the knotted fringe on my cotton and linen placemats:















I know that doesn't look like much, but it's actually 3 placemats still connected by their common warp threads. Once I cut them apart and knot the fringe, the edges will look like this:















This was my first time weaving with cotton and my first time working with linen, period. I'm excited about wet finishing the placemats to see how the fibers react; from what I understand, the linen should soften up and get nice and drapey.

The two plaid-ish placemats were the ones I planned; the striped is the one I had enough leftover warp for. I wasn't about to waste the warp, but if I'd known I'd had enough for a full third mat, I would have done it in the same plaid pattern and measured to make it come out the same size as the others. Live and learn, I suppose.

I'm already thinking ahead to my next weaving project, and I think it's going to be a shawl. I picked up a ton of fuzzy novelty yarn at the dollar store a few months back, and I think I may use it for both warp and weft to make a nice cushy wrap.

1 comment:

soapy said...

Beautiful!