Friday, August 11, 2006

Travel Fiber

Well, we're off to visit Auntie Gigglepants and Uncle Godfather this weekend. Here's what we're taking to keep the baby occupied:

















And here's what we're taking to keep me occupied:





























Since the doctor has told me to lay off the knitting for awhile, the bulk of what I'm bringing is spinning stuff. On the right you can see my Golding Swan Lake spindle, already wound up with a cop of purple New Zealand wool. There's a sad, sad story behind this spindle.

My DH gave it to me as a Valentine's Day gift. Needless to say, I was stunned. I immediately started spinning up the purple fiber you see here, and I absolutely loved it. That spindle truly sang. Then, the unthinkable happened. As will happen with drop spindles, it dropped -- right onto our hardwood floor -- and the wooden post holding the hook cracked. I was devastated, but DH contacted the good people at Goldings and they fixed it right away. For free, no less.

I resumed spinning, but more cautiously. I padded the floor below me with layers of towels, but still I was nervous. Naturally, as I was spinning the yarn separated once again and the spindle headed for the floor. This time, my reflexes took over and I clapped my knees together as it went, trying to keep it from hitting. I heard a sickening crunch and found that I'd caught the spindle right at the whorl, crushing the delicate carvings.

It's taken me months to even be able to write about it, I was so heartsick. DH offered to buy me a new one for our next holiday, but I told him I obviously couldn't be trusted with it. He then glued mine back together for me, dear heart that he is, and if you didn't know to look closely you couldn't even really tell it was ever broken. It doesn't quite sing any more as I spin -- it wobbles just the tiniest bit -- but the upside is, I'm not afraid of dropping it and I can certainly take it on a trip, something I never would have done if it hadn't been broken. Now, of course, I'm sure I'll never drop it again...ain't that always the way?















But, back to my travel fiber toys. In addition to the Golding, there's a Bossie featherweight that I simply adore. I was leery of using such a light spindle, but Sheila over at Journey Wheel said it would be the best thing for the silk fiber I wanted to spin, so I gave it a shot. Right now it's got a merino/silk blend on it that I'm spinning insanely finely. I have no idea what I'll ever do with this sewing thread, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

On the left is my newest fiber toy, a Spindolyn supported spindle. I got this recently in trade for some superwash merino and I've been waiting for a good chance to try it out. I figure a four-hour car ride is as good as it gets.

And, of course, there's the ubiquitous MDK book and SnC cotton. I know, I know, I'm not supposed to knit. But I have a baby shower to go to on the 9th, people! I have to at least finish this baby kimono and a couple of coordinating bibs. I promise I'll go slow and take frequent spinning breaks.

And did I mention that Auntie Gigglepants is a beading guru? There may be some jewelry-making in my future this weekend....

1 comment:

stephanie said...

Hi Splindarella,
I'm been going over the MDK, getting ready to knit an Absorba, and have always loved your posts.
Sorry to hear of the knitting troubles, and even sadder to hear of your pup's passing. Yes, I am going thru your past blogs to find Absorba info...
Take care, enjoy your vacation! -stephanie